Friday, June 19, 2009

Tapas bar in Tel Aviv

We head over to Michael's apartment tonight for his birthday. Shortly after, we take off to a tapas bar about 15 minutes away. This place is hopin'. I look over at the bar and there are meats hanging from hooks. Wait....the bar tenders are pulling it down and shaving it for the customers. What is this? I want some. It's mostly smoked ham and sausage and some beef. Yoshi tells me this is popular in Europe. I skipped Europe and this is my first stop and I finally see something like this. He quickly orders some for us to try. Oh my God! Amazing! It's shaved so thin you can see through it and tastes great. We then get some sausage. It has a oily texture to it almost like it was dipped in olive oil, but there is no oil in the bowl. Again....amazing. Then I ask the bar tender what his favorite is from these containers in front of us. He points to the one that looks like pinkish meat or tomatoes. Can I try a piece? Sure....hands over one on a toothpick. Wow! What is this? It's salmon he replies. No way! We quickly order a bowl. Piece after piece it builds in complexity in the taste and barely tastes of salmon. It's oily with some other flavors in the background that make it so complex. I could have died and gone to heaven. I have no clue what the names of the meats we ordered. The menu is written in chalk above the meats, in Hebrew.
The street sign here is typical in the city and is only a block or two from this tapas place.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: