Thursday, June 25, 2009

Servers in Israel

When I first started to eat out in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, the experience with how I was served was quiet different.

First time

After being seated with the menus laid on the table, the host leaves the table. Now I have thoroughly looked at the menu, even the drink list. I look up occasionally wondering when that server is going to come over. I have even had enough time to see the coloration between the Hebrew and English words trying to figure out the language. Now I close my menu, to signal that I'm totally ready to order. Nothing. I see servers, At least 3 or 4 pass me ever minute or so. It's time to take initiative and just call one over. I signal for one to the table. Finally I get a server. I put in an order for the drink and food. Who knows when I will get them back. The drink arrives. Server gone. Food arrives. “Enjoy”, is all that is mentioned to me. Server gone. I'm almost done with my meal when I realize I still haven't seen my server since the food was given to me. What, no check in with me on how the food is tasting? I start to wonder, is it the restaurant? Is it me? Maybe it's where I'm sitting? I know...it's a busy night? Why aren't they frequenting my table? I see other tables getting more service and visits than me. I finish my meal and my drink has been done for a long while. Time to get going. Now if that server will ever come back I can ask for the bill. Five minutes go by and nothing. I'm just going to grab the next staff person that walks by, even if it's not my server. Excuse me...can I get the bill? A short nod and the server is gone. As I wait for the bill, I prepare money so I don't have to wait again. The bill arrives and I pay immediately; luckily I need no change. I leave hoping the next restaurant I'm taken care of like 'normal'.

A week later after going out many times for meals:

It turns out ever restaurant I have a meal at, the service is the same. So what is the deal? How does one get service when you need it?

Simple: call the server over when you need them.

Once I caught onto this concept, it actually works out quiet nice. It's natural for the locals to do this. The dining experience is only interrupted when I or the others I may be eating with decide to call over the server. It's as if I'm eating at home, enjoying my meal very casually and no interruptions, with the added bonus of someone bringing me the food and drink only when I request it. After a while, I really started to enjoy how the service works like this. The dining experience is never rushed, unless I rush it. It's never interrupted when the table might be in the middle of conversation. There is no urgency to finish the meal. Just enjoy at the pace that works for each table. Doesn't matter if the tables are turning over or not. The standard question of “how's everything” or “how's the food” isn't necessary. If I don't like the food or whatever it might be, I can just call the server over. Simple.

No comments: