Tuesday, June 16, 2009

King Solomon's Quarry

The old city has a light show going on where different parts of the city are lit up with colorful lights, lanterns, and movies shown on the walls of the buildings. One part on the opposite side from where my hotel is located is caves. Melissa told Kurt and I about it at dinner. Kurt and I head over to where we think it should be. We don't find it. We back track a little to the last gate we passed. We head in. I think this is the Muslim area. I haven't been over here yet. It's very desserted but safe and quiet. We keep a reference of where the wall is so that we stay close. It feels like we are going further and further into the old city in a laberyth of narrow streets with 3 story buildings and stone pathways below our feet. Hardly anyone around. About 20 minutes later....there's the other gate. We leave the gate and then find the caves, just 5 minutes before closing. Phew. Here is Kurt and I in the caves with the lighting effects they setup. Turns out this cave was dug under the city and they found skeletons and artifacts. They had to stop digging because of the integrity of the support of the walls, which are supporting the city above.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: