Saturday, June 20, 2009

Dead Sea = -415 meters below sea level

We make it to the lowest point on Earth! I never knew this was the lowest point. As we drove down, by the side of the road, the signs call out the elevation in meters. I'm standing BELOW sea level. This is roughly -1350 feet. One unique thing about this sea, is the salt content. It's 10 times more salty than the oceans. This causes everyone to be VERY buoyant! You will notice that behind me, the people in the water are floating easily. I get in the water and it's like I'm full of air like a blow up pool toy. My whole body, from head to toe, easily floats to the surface of the water. It's actually a little challenging to keep you body vertical because it tends to want to float to the top. When I do keep my body vertical, the water is at my nipples. I'm not kicking....just floating. When I kick a bit to launch myself upward, I drop down and my chin barely hits the water and then I bob up and down a bit. I feel like a buoy. It's the weirdist thing. I lick my lips by accident. It's tastes horrible, almost like acid. It's like the first time you take in salt water, but much worse.
The land you see on the other side of the water is the country of Jourdan. When I get out, I sit on the rock and practically burn my butt on the rock from it being so hot! The rocks near the shore are covered in salt.

Here you can see Yoshi, Ofer, and myself after we finished hangin' out in the water. I will post a picture or two of me in the water later. Ofer took some while I was in the water with his camera.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: